Workshops “The String of the Body”
From 21st till 25th November 2017 – ROME
The program of the workshop “The String of the Body” is the outcome of more then 20 years of practice within an extended platform of body work including gymnastics, sport, martial arts, dance, theatre and body therapy. In our work, we constantly develop our experiences and deepen the creative process by conducting intensive research in communication, adaptation, presence, relation, identity, expression, potential and creativity. How that which is being acquired becomes embedded and a vital part of ourselves? In the process of training and adapting new data, we translate its meaning into the needs of the Human – the Warrior- the Performer. We train, explore and practice. How the body becomes an embodied story of what is already known and of what is not yet discovered and understood in us? How to awaken in us our foundations and the internal rules and principles?
Rituals, martial arts and dance have been a part of human life and history since the dawn of time. The process of observation of, adaptation to and communication with nature and multiple phenomena in our surroundings have always determined our anatomy, psycho-physical functions and our unconsciousness and consciousness. Gradually, unpredictable natural processes and human interrelationships started to determine specific behaviours and interactions in the processes of symbiosis and correlation.
Actions and inspirations
● Training tools and practice developed as part of the Body Constitution programme of the Grotowski Institute (body training – training of the voice at the source of martial arts)
● Several years of training and practice of the Japanese martial art of Judo and the Afro-Brazilian martial art Capoeira, elements of
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Boxing training
● Elements of stunt training such as Krav Maga, jumps, falls, shock absorption, fighting choreographies
● Physical Dance (Contact Improvisation, Intensive Partnering)
● Compositions – study stage at the source of martial arts
● Elements of functional training
● Deep relaxation techniques (Thai Massage technics, Acro Yoga, Live Impression Method)
Topics of work during the workshop
● deepening the practice of the essence of form and technique
● mobility and statics
● balance, imbalance, maintaining one’s balance
● dynamics, strength, gentleness
● risk zone, limited comfort, confidence and lack of confidence
● boundaries and boundary-crossing
● the maintenance of tension in the relationship – the symbolism, the gesture, the archetype
● energy – expressive potential, dramaturgic – compositional potential
● releasing and strengthening the voice, transgression of traditional afro – brazilian chants
● fatigue and psychosomatic relaxation of tensions
leading: Jakub Gontarski and Agnieszka Rybak
Helpers and workshops coorganizers: Sofia Guidi and Valerio Leoni
Jakub Gontarski collaborates with the Grotowski Institute in the BodyConstitution research program. He Initiated a program The String of the Body in which the directions of work are expression, presence, dramaturgy, creativity at the martial arts in the path of the Warrior-Performer. Travels to Brazil taking a living inspiration by documenting and taking an active part in the rituals of Candomble ne Egungun. Temporarily works on project “Deus Ex Machina” with actor Jacek Zawadzki. Co-creator of the productions Animan – I Am That and Madhouse and many others. He performs movement improvisations on stage to live music. Jakub is a graduate of the 13 Film Stunt School in Wrocław. He is a co-organizer of the CYRKULACJE Festival in Wrocław and Planet Kids (www.cyrkulacje.wroclaw.pl, http://cyrkulacje.wroclaw.pl/festiwal-cyrkulacje-2016-opowiesci-ciala-glebiej/planet-kids-2016/). President of the Momentum Association of Creative Initiatives. He practiced the Japanese martial art of judo and the Brazilian martial art of capoeira (in Brazil and in many European countries). He studied with eminented teachers movement in Poland and all over the world. Jakub inspires in brazilian jiu-jitsu, boxing, sport, movement body mechanics. He worked for the Krzyżowa Foundation for Mutual Understanding in Europe leading numerous workshops, choreography and performances with international youth. He leads workshops with socially excluded youth in Wrocław, including as part of the project Thought in Motion, undertaken by the Institute of Music and Dance. He taught movement classes at Ente private kindergarten (European Cooperation Centre). He plays Afro-Brazilian instruments. The author of the collection of poems “death and rebirth”.
Agnieszka Rybak teaches, moves and performs. She collaborates with the Grotowski Institute in the BodyConstitution research programme. Together with Jakub Gontarski, Agnieszka co-creates The String of the Body workshop. She has practiced capoeira for many years, including on an expedition in Brazil in 2008. She holds a scholarship of the Alternative Dance Academy in Poznań. Agnieszka graduated from the Academy of New Dance and Improvisation and completed a number of instructor courses in the fields of therapy, dance and movement. She hones her skills in Poland and abroad. She is a practitioner and teacher of a Hawaiian bodywork method and a practitioner of the Life Impression Bodywork method and of Thai Yoga Massage Sacred Dance of the Sunshine House School in Chiang Mai. She is a member of ECITE (European Contact Improvisation Teachers Exchange) as well as an initiator of Wrocław’s contact improvisation milieu and co-creator of the Cyrkulacje Festival and Planet Kids project.
The workshop is intended for actors, performers, dancers and movers. It will be held in English.
Price for 5 days of seminar: 200 euro
Maximum number of people – 18
Please send your Curriculum Vitae (in English) to
[email protected] by 18th of November 2017.
Places are limited. Applicants will be accepted on a first-come-first-serve basis.
Info: [email protected]
The String of the Body
Training and practice in themselves define and redefine what has been acquired and what is being acquired.
The perspective of the human – practitioner, the performative aspects of martial arts, sport, challenge, sources of performativity stage, contributing to dialogue and training tools.
The programme is the outcome of more than 15 years of practice within an extended platform of body work including gymnastics, sport, martial arts, dance, theatre and body therapy. In our work, we constantly develop our experiences and deepen the creative process by conducting intensive research in communication, adaptation, presence, relation, expression, potential and creativity.visit profile
- Workshops – The String of the Body in Wrocław, Poland Published: October 26, 2017
- workshops ” The String of the Body” Published: October 12, 2017
- the string of the body Published: September 20, 2017